Seventeen Rockwood School District schools have secured 24 of the 297 Promising Practices awarded this year by the Character Education Partnership (CEP). Each year, CEP representatives recognize schools and districts from the United States and across the globe for their innovative practices in the area of character education.
To receive a Promising Practice, schools must demonstrate how they put one or more of the 11 Principles of Character Education into action.
The schools and their Promising Practices are as follows:
- - A Leader in Me!
- Bowles Elementary School - Operation PEACE Project
- Ellisville Elementary School - Ballroom dancing and Character Traits; Ellisville Elementary Tiger Family Program
- - Winter Warm-Up: Catching Good Character
- - Redefining Beautiful; Eureka Friday Friends (EFF)
- - Healing heARTS!; Read!Read!Read with Your Community!
- - "I Stand For You" Community Blood Drive
- - Gators Earn, Learn, and Give Back
- Kehrs Mill Elementary School - Setting Goals through Physical Education
- - The Turkey Dinner Dance; Operation Food Search
- - LaSalle Springs Middle School Lady Steppers
- Morgan Selvidge Middle School - Partnership for Kids; Transition to High School: High School Enrollment
- - The Pond Promise: Show Us Your True Colors; Our Magic School Bus Drivers
- Rockwood Early Childhood Education Center - Positive Behavior Support Family Support Nook; The Humane Society Service Learning Project
- Rockwood South Middle School - Falcon Learning Lab
- Uthoff Valley Elementary - Helping Hands Program
- Woerther Elementary School - You Against You: School-wide Goal Setting; Bus Driver Appreciation: Connecting Home and School
“Rockwood teachers and staff work to infuse character education into various aspects of the learning process,” Jane Brown, director of differentiated services, stated in a Rockwood announcement about the awards. “While each school develops its own opportunities to promote character education, it’s an honor for the district to receive recognition for 24 best practices.”
The Promising Practices awards program is administered by CEP as part of its National Schools of Character program.