Wildwood resident Matthew Frederickson, who is the Rockwood School District director of curriculum, recently received a promotion to Sergeant First Class in the Illinois National Guard. He served in the Missouri National Guard for 20 years and transferred to the Illinois National Guard last year, according to a district news release.
As a military bandsman, Frederickson served the United States on five continents. He most recently entertained troops in Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar and Djibouti, Africa.
Frederickson's federal military honors include:
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with five devices
- National Defense Service Medal plus a bronze star
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Air Force Longevity Service ribbon with two devices
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hour glass and Mobilization device
- Air Force Training Ribbon
- Army Professional Development ribbon with one device
- Missouri Commendation Ribbon.
Frederickson is a graduate of the Airman Leadership School, the Air Force NCO Academy, the Army Warrior Leader Course, the Army Basic Non-Commissioned Officer Course, and a Distinguished Honor Graduate of the Army Advanced Leader Course.