One St. Louis County resident and one Metro West Fire Protection District firefigher were treated at an area hospital for smoke inhalation, after a Saturday morning fire took over a house in Sherman, MO, in unincorporated West St. Louis County.
Metro West coordinator Michael Thiemann said the first fire crews on the scene found fire in a one-story structure fully engulfed. "Initial reports were that a person was trapped in the residence, however, it was quickly determined that everyone was out of the structure."
He said Metro West firefighters worked quickly to suppress the fire of the wood-framed structure. The fire was extinguished after approximately 25 minutes.
“The biggest challenge faced by crews was the location of the fire. That particular area is without a public water system and accessible fire hydrants” said Metro West Chief Vincent Loyal.
He said firefighters had to implement a water tanker shuttle operation so it was necessary that Metro West receive additional assistance from nearby fire districts. The West County EMS & Fire Protection District, Monarch Fire Protection District, Eureka Fire Protection District, High Ridge Fire Protection District, Boles Fire Protection District and the Pacific Fire Protection District responded to ensure adequate water supply for suppression efforts.
One person was transported to a nearby hospital for minor injuries sustained from smoke inhalation. In addition, one firefighter was later transported for minor injuries sustained during firefighting efforts.
The alarm is under investigation by Metro West and St. Louis County Police officials, said Thiemann.
“This is a good time to remind everyone of the importance for homeowners to remember to change batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, to have furnaces and fireplaces professionally checked for safety and to remember not to place any objects on or near stoves” said Loyal.