Your Jan. 4 Patch blog post “ claimed that you “just sat down and started writing and this is what came out” and that you were writing “from the heart”. Presumably this would suggest that you did not apply much thoughtful reflection or complex reasoning to your comments. The absurd, and possibly treasonous, content of your post certainly indicates that this is the case.
What is so absurd you ask? There are far too many claims in your post to address each one, but the fact that you suggest that there should be an AR-15 in every closet in every home to protect against some mythical invading army – BECAUSE OF U.S. CURRENCY DEVALUATION? Apparently you have been watching too much “Red Dawn," or you are using fear to appeal to your followers for campaign contributions?
Or an even more insidious claim, that American citizens should be prepared to take up arms against their own “government? I’m pretty sure Nancy Pelosi and Eric Holder won’t be coming after us themselves, so what you seem to be suggesting is that we arm ourselves so that we can fire upon the sons and daughters of our own friends, family and neighbors that are in the U.S. Military? No? What American citizens are you asking us to take arms up against then?
I would have thought that you might have learned something from similar un-thinking comments made by a recent U.S. Senate candidate from Missouri. There are consequences to making absurd comments, as Mr. Akin found out, and while history will be the judge here, it is my hope that your comments will yield results similar to those of Mr. Akin.
No, now that I think about it more, you losing your job is certainly NOT what I am hoping for.
Let me see now, what do I really hope for? How about these to start?
I hope that you will….
- STOP the “Left/Right” Divisiveness that is tearing our families, neighborhoods, communities and country apart, and that you will encourage your constituents and other politicians to do the same.
- RETURN the Constitutional Principle of “Fair and Reasonable Compromise” back to the political discourse. You didn’t get elected to compromise you say? Just imagine if John Adams and James Madison would have said the same! Compromise is a civic and patriotic responsibility of all Americans – especially those in elected offices that represent all citizens, not just those that voted for them. The fact that we cannot have machine guns, bazookas and hand grenades tells us that we CAN compromise on weapons. Now is the time to step up and do it.
- STOP the Fear Mongering, demagogic, reckless, hysterical, deliberate, and typically unsubstantiated accusations and/or personal attacks on the character, loyalty, patriotism, and beliefs of an individual opponent or group for political gain in the guise of patriotism and/or “national security, or to fill one’s campaign coffers. We had McCarthyism once in this country, when we turned against our own friends, family, neighbors and co-workers. Hopefully we’ll remember those horrible mistakes of the 1950s and NEVER REPEAT THEM AGAIN.
- RETURN our Democracy to the People by reducing the corruptive influence of money on our federal, state and local governments. These profiteers are padding their pockets at the expense of our democratic process and the future well-being of us and our children. Refusing NRA political contributions would be a great place to start!
- ACT Upon the Greatest Challenge, and greatest opportunity, humankind has ever faced. Climate change is not a hoax, nor is it “liberal”. It's fundamental physics and it’s a threat to the welfare of your children and the children of the world.
Fifty years from now, or less, your children could be forgiven for asking what action you took on climate change back in 2013:
“Dad, why did your generation ignore the consensus among climate scientists and the clear warnings of the National Academy of Science?
Well, son, this guy on the radio said it was all a great hoax by Al Gore and the Liberals who wanted to raise our taxes and create more “big govt”!
OK, Dad, I understand that some people disagreed, but what about the record droughts, heat waves and storms? I know these are all much worse now, but back in 2013, that was still really bad weather for the time!
Come on, son, you don’t understand what we were dealing with back in 2013. We had to save traditional marriage from the gays! The billionaires needed more tax breaks! We had to defund the EPA! Dealing with the climate system on which all human life depends just wasn’t a priority!”
There is nothing more “conservative” than conserving the climate system upon which human life, including our own children, depends.
Climate Change is not about politics… it’s about physics, and physics really doesn’t compromise.
History will be our judge.
I am an Independent, and a proud and hopeful American citizen, and I offer my services and support in helping you achieve these admittedly lofty goals in any way that I can.
Larry Lazar, Eureka, Missouri