Did you know?
- An otter can travel underwater for a quarter of a mile.
- An otter can dive down 55 feet.
- Sometimes otters catch fish using teamwork.
- An otter can close its ears and nose while swimming.
- Otters can slide down the bank of a river at a speed of up to 18 miles per hour!
Learn more fun facts about otters at the Saint Louis Zoo's special Ottertoberfest today or next Saturday and Sunday. Attendees can hear from the zoo's otter keepers at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. each day. Admission to this celebration is free, and the festival runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Oct. 7, 13 and 14.
This fall-time event also features traditional German biergartens (beer gardens), live music, and kids' activities. At the biergartens, visitors can purchase beer, bratwurst and other German specialties from noon to 3 p.m.
Otter-related kids’ activities include a riverbed water game, river recycling activity, an otter appetites game, crafts and other activities designed for ages 2 to 10 years.
Today, live music is being provided by Die Spitzbaum. On Saturday, Oct. 13, music will be provided by Deutschmeister Brass Band, Joe Tucci, Bug Tussel Bluegrass Band. On Sunday, Oct. 14, music will be provided by the Good Times Band.
For more information on Ottertoberfest activities, call (314) 781-0900.