The third annual dog parade and other "Mardi Growl" festivities will be hosted in Old Town Eureka from 1-4 p.m. on Feb. 17. Prizes will be awarded for the top three dogs in the Best in Show category, in addition to a Pet/Owner look-a-like winner.
Pet registration for $5 each begins at 12:30 p.m. or pre-registration is being taken at the Eureka Chamber of Commerce. The first 100 dogs get special doggie bags filled with treats for both them and their human friends.
The parade begins at 1:30 p.m.
Music, Cajun cuisine, speciality drinks and free children's activities will be found on Central Avenue, after the parade.
Samples of Eureka business owners' specials include:
- Michelle's Cafe opens at 8 a.m.; crawfish and shrimp boil starts at 1 p.m. Beignets available all weekend.
- El Nopal to serve guacamole and cheese dips for half price; special prices on drinks
- Eureka Screen Printing will have a special Mardi Growl T-shirts for sale.
- O'Dell's Irish Pub will have crawfish etoufee, crab cakes and special drink prices
- Chick-N-Elly's will serve Cajun food and beer specials
- Joe Boccardi's Ristorante will have Cajun pasta
- The Eureka Wine House will have 'Howl'icanes and other specialty drinks
This event's rain date is Feb. 24.
See prior Eureka-Wildwood Patch coverage of Mardi Growl:
Get Ready to Mardi Growl
Local Groups Support Mardi Growl
Mardi Growl Winners Crowned Sunday
Bark for Beads: Mardi Growl was Huge Success
Coolest Dog Rolls into Mardi Growl
Eureka 'Goes to Dogs' for Mardi Growl