If your closet has you spooked this fall, it is time to take some action. Because your day begins in the closet, it has the power to drain or energize you. Think about how you feel when you walk into your closet and can't find anything to wear. Can you relate to digging through piles of stuff on the floor to find a matching shoe? How did that affect your mood as you started off your day? Now imagine an organized and beautiful closet. Walking into it feels like shopping in a boutique where everything is easily seen and found. Do you feel drained or energized?
I recently completed a closet makeover of my own using Easy Track, a company that supplied the product. I’d love to share with you some valuable tips from my experience.
Step 1: Purge
Statistics tell us that we wear 20 percent of our clothes, 80 percent of the time. Most closets are overstuffed, which makes it more difficult to find what you need. What are you hanging on to that you need to let go of? Take some time to let go of clothes that are too small, clothes you've planned on repairing but have never gotten around to, and clothes that have gone out of style. You'll be amazed at how freeing it is to let go!
Step 2: Plan
If you don't know what you want to accomplish and just start purchasing products, you can waste hundreds of dollars. Take time to research and choose a reputable closet company. I chose to partner with Easy Track by The Stow Company for my closet makeover project. During the planning phase, list your needs and desires to incorporate into your plan. Easy Track has an online tool that allows you to design, change and redesign your own closet. Closet designers also are available to walk you through it step-by-step if you need extra help.
Here were the items on my closet wish list:
- Two separate areas in the closet; one for me and one for my husband so we could both get dressed without bumping into one another.
- Drawer space to hold undergarments and athletic wear. The space needs to be large enough to replace the dresser stored in our previous closet.
- Shelving space to store jeans and sweaters.
- Hanging rods low enough for me to reach easily.
- Storage for me to presort my dirty laundry.
- A place to sit when putting on shoes.
- I want it to look beautiful.
Step 3: Prep Work
It isn't the most fun, but is well worth the effort. When you pull out the old system, take the time to patch holes, clean the floorboards and paint your closet. Yes, paint your closet! Choose a light color and integrate colors from your bedroom into the closet. A little bit of paint goes a long way in terms of impact! This is also a great time to make sure the lighting in your closet is adequate.
Step 4: Install
My experience with Easy Track was a great one. All of the components were clearly marked and packaged well, which made putting it together so much nicer. The pieces are heavy so be sure to recruit some help with carrying them to your closet. Installation was simple and straightforward, with the most difficult task being the installation of a single hanging rail to which all of the components attach. Once that is accomplished, the rest is a piece of cake!
Step 5: Organize
This step is critical to saving time — especially on busy mornings.
- Using only one kind of hanger adds uniformity and is easy on the eye. Choose one type of hanger and stick with it.
- Removing empty hangers and storing them together make hanging clean laundry an easier task.
- Hanging clothes can be organized by sleeve length, type of use (work clothes versus every day clothes) or by color. Use what make the most sense for you!
- Spring-loaded drawer dividers help divide drawers into neat little areas. They are removable and allow you to divide a drawer into as many sections as you want.
Step 6: Accessorize
If you want your closet to be beautiful as well as functional, consider color and style as you choose your baskets. Other decorative touches, such as colorful hooks, flowers and lamps, bring warmth and impact to an area. Look how it affected the entire feel of my closet!
Your closet, like mine, can go from spooked to spectacular with a little ambition, some wonderful products and some good hard work. If you'd like to know more details about my closet makeover, check out our video and Facebook album.
Note: The Stow Company provided the Easy Track product for this project. The views and opinions expressed are entirely my own.