More than 100 high school and middle school students in the Rockwood community submitted entries for the inaugural “As Seen by Teens” substance abuse prevention public service announcement and poster contest sponsored by the Rockwood Drug-Free Coalition, which is based in Eureka.
The contest judging and awards ceremony was held Feb. 23 at B&B Theatres in Wildwood. Attendees viewed the posters and PSAs on a big screen, witnessed the independent judges complete their scoring rubrics, enjoyed entertainment provided by emcee Joe Fingerhut, and cast their own votes for an “audience choice” winner, according to a news release from coalition representatives.
Judges for the contest were: Pamela Senti, former art department chair at Lafayette High School; Mary James-Herold, owner of MJH Advertising Agency; Bill Hency, Sales Director of DDI Media; Heather Haymart, owner of Chesterfield Wood Icing; and Alex Jones, Fulfillment Coordinator at Six Flags Over St. Louis in Eureka.
Student poster winners were:
- 1st place: Jake Lee, Lafayette senior
- 2nd place: Abigayle Gellasch, Lafayette senior
- 3rd place: Jake Park, Eureka junior
- 1st place: Cole Staehling, Rockwood Valley 6th grader
- 2nd place: Allison Hallums and Annalise Alvarex, Rockwood Valley 8th graders
- 3rd place: Paige Price and Maggie Dunne, Holy Infant 7th graders
Students PSA winners were:
- 1st place: Thomas Heney, Lafayette senior
- 2nd place: Grace Prosperi and T.J. Hugh, Marquette sophomore and junior
- 3rd place: Lauren Berger and Carolyn Glaser, Marquette seniors
- 1st place: Elizabeth Butler, LaSalle Springs 8th grader
- 2nd place: Marnita Brown, LaSalle Springs 7th grader
- 3rd place: Tristan Pacino, LaSalle Springs 7th grader
People’s Choice Award: (PSA) Josh Gardiner and Sean Koehler, Marquette junior and sophomore
By engaging youth in prevention messaging, the Rockwood Drug-Free Coalition hopes to increase community awareness of substance abuse, said Coalition Director Renee Heney. All high school and middle school youth living or attending school within Rockwood School District boundaries were invited to participate.
Winning PSAs and posters will receive widespread community exposure at Six Flags, Charter Cable, MTV, MTV2, a DDI Media billboard in Fenton, Riverchase and other community centers, and Rockwood schools.