A Eureka High School player is among a dozen local football players, plus other athletes and teams, who will be honored via the National Football Foundation as scholar athletes on Sunday, May 5, at a formal banquet at Orlando Gardens Center in South St. Louis County.
"Football has always been my favorite sport. I really like the camaraderie it builds. My teammates are my brothers," said Nate Echard, a Eureka resident and Eureka High football player who has been a linebacker, safety and wide receiver over the years. In May, he will be recognized for this contributions, both on and off the field.
"I'm excited about this honor," said the senior, whose parents are Kelly and Brian Echard.
Nate said he is hoping to walk onto a Division I college football team.
"I think football has made me a more successful person, because it taught me discipline and time management," he said.
Randy Karracker, who calls games for Charter Cable, will be master of ceremonies.
Scholar/Athletes to be recognized are:
- Nate Echard, Eureka
- Xavier Bledsoe, John Burroughs
- Nick Featherston, Brentwood
- Luke Hasedjaeger, Washington, MO
- John Hummell, III, Timberland
- Darius Mosely, O'Fallon, IL
- David Neville, Clayton
- Dylan Newcomb, Waynesville, MO
- Jordan Noyes, Parkway South
- Drew Pikey, Collinsville, IL
- Brandon Polito, St. Mary's
- Bryant Williams, Gateway
- Brandon Barton, Festus
- Ben Tesson, Rockwood Summit
- William Small, Washington University
- Parkway Central
- St. Mary's