Last month, the Solid Rock Kaffee Haus & Bistro in Eureka collected shoes for the West St. Louis County-based ShoeMan Water project to stop the water crisis in Kenya and Haiti. Solid Rock customers donated 134 pairs of shoes to the cause. For each shoe donation, a sample bag of coffee was given in return.
Eureka-Wildwood Patch took this accompanying photo at that time and was ready to help promote the desire of the coffee shop's team to host a baby shower for donations to Tri-County Birthright in Eureka; however, the local coffee shop owner recently closed the business, per an announcement on the business' Facebook page.
Solid Rock owner Mel Griffith posted on Facebook that it was a blessing to serve everyone for the past four years. She supported the community in a variety of ways, including:
- hosting local students for individual art shows
- providing a 10 percent student discount with corresponding student identification
- sponsoring a book swap at the shop
- hosting musicians
- supporting community events
- offering other small businesses, such as jewelry makers and photographers, a place to sell their creations
Many customers will miss the shop's famous chicken salad and custom beverages.
"I will miss my Solid Rock families. Thanks for your support," Griffith posted on Facebook.
Editor's Note: Thank you, Mel, for providing a welcoming, community gathering spot. On the eve of Small Business Saturday Nov. 26, we will miss you and wish you well.